Draft Profile: BioStephan Blaylock attended St. John Bosco High School and was rated a 4-star prospect by 247 Sports with a scout's rating of 0.908, going unranked by ESPN. Following high school, Blaylock opted to join UCLA after being heavily recruited.
In 2018 as a freshman Blaylock saw action in 12 games and played a total of 166 snaps at safety for the Bruins. He recorded 18 tackles, 2 assists, while adding 6 stops. In coverage Blaylock notched up one pass breakup, no interceptions, and a QB rating when targetted of 65.4.
As a sophomore in 2019 he played in 12 games and logged 838 snaps for the Bruins. He made solid 73 tackles, 14 assists, and had 15 stops. In coverage he totaled one pass breakup, no interceptions, and a disapointing QB rating when targetted of 130.9.
In 2020 as a junior Blaylock played in 7 games and contributed on 480 snaps. He chalked up 33 tackles, 10 assists, and added 4 stops. In the secondary Blaylock forced no pass breakups, 2 interceptions, and gave up QB rating when targetted of 90.2.
In 2021 as a senior Blaylock saw action in 12 games while playing 744 snaps. He logged 44 tackles, 13 assists, and made 11 stops. In coverage Blaylock had 2 pass breakups, no interceptions, and surrendered a QB rating when targetted of 92.0.
In 2022 as a fifth year senior Blaylock saw action in 12 games while playing 736 snaps. He logged 42 tackles, 16 assists, and made 8 stops. In coverage Blaylock had one pass breakup, one interception, and surrendered a disapointing QB rating when targetted of 119.8.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- A coordinated athlete with good footwork and balance. A heady cover player with above-average · feel and anticipation in space.
- Can track the ball downfield and gets his head around when playing in a trail position, and Blaylock shows excellent ball skills when breaking on a route. He’s a plus tackler in run support as well.
- Good instincts and anticipation reads and reacts with discipline. Dangerous with the ball in his hands.
- Alert defender for zone coverage, showing good understanding of route progressions occurring behind him and a quick burst downhill to break on underneath passes in front of him.
- Has a powerful punch at the line of scrimmage and can deliver it while moving his feet. Blaylock also has the powerful core and hips to stick to a receiver downfield and escort him to the sideline
- Tracks the ball well downfield and shows good ball skills, including the ability to go up and high-point it in contested-catch situations.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Needs to develop a better understanding of route combinations and better overall vision.
- Isn’t great in route recognition when he’s facing the action, is hesitant and susceptible to double moves, and too often gets unnecessarily handsy when playing trail position
- Needs to tighten his angles in pursuit. Needs to show better tackling technique to consistently finish.
Stephan Blaylock percentiles vs other Safety's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Stephan Blaylock (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank