Draft Profile: BioTanner McCalister attended Rockwall-Heath High School and was rated a 3 star prospect by 247 Sports with a scout's rating of 0.871, going unranked by ESPN Following high school, McCalister opted to join Oklahoma State.
In 2018 as a freshman McCalister saw action in 11 games and played on a total of 122 snaps for the Cowboys. He recorded 11 tackles, no assists, while adding 4 stops. In coverage McCalister notched up one pass break up, no interceptions, and a QB rating when targetted of 154.4.
As a sophomore for the Cowboys in 2019 McCalister played in 13 games and took part on 384 snaps for the Cowboys. He made 29 tackles, 3 assists, and had 7 stops. In coverage McCalister totaled no pass break ups, no interceptions, and a QB rating when targetted of 130.4.
In 2020 as a junior McCalister played in 11 games and contributed on 647 snaps. He chalked up 41 tackles, 6 assists, and added 12 stops. In the secondary McCalister forced 5 pass break ups, no interceptions, and gave up a QB rating when targetted of 93.2.
In 2021 as a senior McCalister saw action in 14 games while playing on 696 snaps. He logged 30 tackles, 9 assists, and made 10 stops. In coverage McCalister had 5 pass break ups, one interception, and surrendered a QB rating when targetted of 84.0.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Strong hands to make plays on the ball, effective blitzer who shows well-coached technique and awareness.
- Flashes some physicality as a hitter.
- Gives up his body in run support with a very good closing burst.
- Quicker than he is fast but has a burst to close in zone coverage and plays physical at the line in man.
- Aware in the red zone, stays on the back line to take away fade throws. Capable of making quarterbacks pay for late throws.
- Transitions well from coverage to close on the ball. Strong hands, quick reactions for the interceptions.
- Tough and scrappy with forceful nature to be physical at all levels of the field. Has good bulk on his frame to be aggressive in run support.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Has tense ankles and hips with choppy footwork when attempting to redirect and doesn't always look natural changing directions.
- Inconsistent getting off of blocks. Can be a step slow to react when a quarterback comes back to his side of the field late in progression.
How other scouting services rate Tanner McCalister (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank