Draft Profile: BioTanner McCalister attended Rockwall-Heath High School and was rated a 3-star prospect by 247 Sports with a scout's rating of 0.871, going unranked by ESPN. Following high school, McCalister opted to join Oklahoma State after being heavily recruited.
In 2018 as a freshman McCalister saw action in 11 games and played a total of 122 snaps at Cornerback for the Cowboys. He recorded 11 tackles, no assists, while adding 4 stops. In coverage McCalister notched up one pass breakup, no interceptions, and a disapointing QB rating when targetted of 154.4.
As a sophomore in 2019 he played in 13 games and logged 384 snaps for the Cowboys. He made 29 tackles, 3 assists, and had 7 stops. In coverage he totaled no pass breakups, no interceptions, and a disapointing QB rating when targetted of 130.4.
In 2020 as a junior McCalister played in 11 games and contributed on 647 snaps. He chalked up 41 tackles, 6 assists, and added 12 stops. In the secondary McCalister forced 5 pass breakups, no interceptions, and gave up QB rating when targetted of 93.2.
In 2021 as a senior McCalister saw action in 14 games while playing 696 snaps. He logged 30 tackles, 9 assists, and made 10 stops. In coverage McCalister had 5 pass breakups, one interception, and surrendered a decent QB rating when targetted of 84.0.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- In the run game, he’s aggressive coming downhill and a sure tackler.
- He’s physical at the line of scrimmage, showing unexpected power in his hands.
- He’s a willing and capable hitter in run support and closes fast to make plays against quick screens.
- Closes to the ball quite well and possesses the hands to snatch throws away from his frame.
- Strong hands to make plays on the ball, effective blitzer who shows well-coached technique and awareness.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- He’ll draw plenty of flags early on with his playing style. McCalister is hesitant when facing the action in zone coverage.
- Plays out of control too often, laying a lot of big hits but also missing a lot of tackles along the way. McCalister also needs to do a better job reading routes when sitting back as a single-high safety.
- Neither his size nor his straight-line speed would be considered elite
- Inconsistent getting off of blocks. Can be a step slow to react when a quarterback comes back to his side of the field late in progression.
How other scouting services rate Tanner McCalister (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank