Draft Profile: BioTanner McCalister attended Rockwall-Heath High School and was rated a 3-star prospect by 247 Sports with a scout's rating of 0.870, going unranked by ESPN. Following high school, McCalister opted to join Oklahoma State after being heavily recruited.
In 2018 as a freshman McCalister saw action in 11 games and played a total of 122 snaps at cornerback for the Cowboys. He recorded 11 tackles, no assists, while adding 4 stops. In coverage McCalister notched up one pass breakup, no interceptions, and an unimpressive QB rating when targetted of 154.4.
As a sophomore in 2019 he played in 13 games and logged 384 snaps for the Cowboys. He made 29 tackles, 3 assists, and had 7 stops. In coverage he totaled no pass breakups, no interceptions, and an unimpressive QB rating when targetted of 130.4.
In 2020 as a junior McCalister played in 11 games and contributed on 647 snaps. He chalked up 41 tackles, 6 assists, and added 12 stops. In the secondary McCalister forced 5 pass breakups, no interceptions, and gave up QB rating when targetted of 93.2.
In 2021 as a senior McCalister saw action in 14 games while playing 696 snaps. He logged 30 tackles, 9 assists, and made 10 stops. In coverage McCalister had 5 pass breakups, one interception, and surrendered a QB rating when targetted of 84.0.
After the end of the season McCalister transferred to Ohio State where as a fifth year senior for the Buckeyes in 2022 McCalister played in 11 games and took part in 462 snaps for the Buckeyes. He logged 23 tackles, no assists, and made 12 stops. In coverage McCalister had one pass breakup, 3 interceptions, and surrendered an outstanding QB rating when targetted of 48.9.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- In the run game, he’s aggressive coming downhill and a sure tackler.
- He’s physical at the line of scrimmage, showing unexpected power in his hands.
- He’s a willing and capable hitter in run support and closes fast to make plays against quick screens.
- Closes to the ball quite well and possesses the hands to snatch throws away from his frame.
- Strong hands to make plays on the ball, effective blitzer who shows well-coached technique and awareness.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- He’ll draw plenty of flags early on with his playing style. McCalister is hesitant when facing the action in zone coverage.
- Plays out of control too often, laying a lot of big hits but also missing a lot of tackles along the way. McCalister also needs to do a better job reading routes when sitting back as a single-high safety.
- Neither his size nor his straight-line speed would be considered elite
- Inconsistent getting off of blocks. Can be a step slow to react when a quarterback comes back to his side of the field late in progression.
Tanner McCalister percentiles vs other Safety's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Tanner McCalister (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank