Draft Profile: BioTrevor Downing from Creston High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Downing opted to join Iowa State.
In 2018 as a freshman Downing saw action in just 2 games and played a total of 2 snaps for the Cyclones. He allowed no QB hurries, no QB hits, and no sacks while playing sparingly.
As a sophomore in 2019 he played in 13 games and a total of 841 snaps. He conceded an unipressive 18 QB hurries, 4 QB hits, and 2 sacks while playing at left guard.
In 2020 as a junior Downing saw action in just one game and totaled 34 snaps. He gave up no QB hurries, no QB hits, and no sacks while playing at left guard.
In 2021 as a senior Downing saw action in 13 games and played a total of 865 snaps for the Cyclones. He allowed a solid 8 QB hurries, no QB hits, and no sacks while playing most of his snaps at left guard.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- A stout, powerful interior blocker whose game is built on toughness and power, displays impressive movement skills as well.
- Does a nice job on the second level, moving upfield quickly and showing the flexibility and balance to land blocks in space.
- He’s very good in the phone booth, firing off the line and playing with good leverage early in the down.
- Dips shoulder and moves his feet to get outside leverage when needed. Strong and low coming out of his stance, effective in short-yardage situations.
- Has good footwork and technique. Balanced and agile pass protection set with excellent hand placement.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Sometimes Downing simply gets too impatient to sit back in his set, reaching and lunging and generally playing with poor balance.
- Doesn’t display the agility and speed to effectively get around as a pulling guard. Downing generally struggles in space, and he will have a tough time consistently landing blocks on the second level
- He’s shaky as a pass protector, which is troublesome for the next level. Downing often plays too high with an inconsistent kick slide.
- Has some limitations in pass protection. Because his length is not ideal for a tackle spot, he might have to move inside.
How other scouting services rate Trevor Downing (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank