Draft Profile: BioSmith played in 22 games in his first two seasons in Morgantown. In 12 games as a freshman, he piled up 51 total tackles 2.5 tackles for loss, a sack, and two interceptions. He returned one of those interceptions 19 yards for a touchdown and forced one fumble. In 10 games as a sophomore, Smith totaled 61 total tackles and eight tackles for loss while breaking up five passes and intercepting two. He helped the Mountaineers field the nation's No. 1 pass defense in yards-per-game average and No. 10 pass defense in yards averaged per pass attempt. He was honored as a third-team All-American by the Associated Press. He was a member of the All-Big 12 honorable mention team. He earned Freshman All-American honors in 2019. Smith is a preseason first-team All-American for Pro Football Focus and a second-team All-American for Sporting News.
He may crack the first round, but probably will go high in the second round of the 2022 NFL Draft.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Physical run supporter in the Antoine Winfield mold with short-area explosiveness to leave his mark on ballcarriers.
- Closes to the ball quite well and possesses the hands to snatch throws away from his frame.
- Aware in the red zone, stays on the back line to take away fade throws. Capable of making quarterbacks pay for late throws.
- Competes for the ball and has good anticipation skills and hand-eye coordination.
- Good instincts and anticipation reads and reacts with discipline. Dangerous with the ball in his hands.
- Gives up his body in run support with a very good closing burst.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Inconsistent getting off of blocks. Can be a step slow to react when a quarterback comes back to his side of the field late in progression.
- Has tense ankles and hips with choppy footwork when attempting to redirect and doesn't always look natural changing directions.
- Needs to tighten his angles in pursuit. Needs to show better tackling technique to consistently finish.
How other scouting services rate Tykee Smith (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank