Draft Profile: BioTyrus Wheat from Amite High High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Wheat joined Mississippi State.
In 2020 as a freshman Wheat saw action in 9 games and played a total of 396 snaps for the Bulldogs. He recorded 18 tackles, 3 assists, while adding 17 stops. In coverage Wheat notched up one pass breakup, one interception, and an elite QB rating when targetted of 47.6. As a pass rusher, he added 18 total pressures, which included 12 QB hurries, no QB hits, and 6 sacks on the season.
As a sophomore for the Bulldogs in 2021 Wheat played in 13 games and took part in 711 snaps for the Bulldogs. He recorded 30 tackles, 11 assists, while adding 29 stops. In coverage Wheat made 2 pass breakups, one interception, and an elite QB rating when targetted of 52.1. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 27 total pressures, and 13 QB hurries, 7 QB hits, and 7 sacks during the year.
In 2022 as a junior Wheat played in 12 games and contributed on 736 snaps. He recorded 31 tackles, 15 assists while making 23 stops. In coverage Wheat chalked up one pass breakup, one interception, and a QB rating when targetted of 56.7. As a pass rusher, he produced 37 total pressures, which included 25 QB hurries, 4 QB hits, and an excellent 8 sacks on the year.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Showed initial quickness and good flexibility to dip and bend. Wheat has active hands and suddenness to his movements, demonstrating the ability to counter inside.
- He can move laterally and chase in pursuit. A tough, violent tackler with a non-stop motor, Wheat also shows good awareness when dropping into coverage.
- Wheat can be used as a rangy run defender inside, instinctive when it comes to locating the ball with the quickness to get to it before blockers can react at the second level.
- He’s flexible enough to bend the edge, and he’s at his best when he can use his quickness and change-of-direction abilities to counter back inside.
- While he has the flexibility to dip and bend under tackles, what makes him truly dangerous is his ability to counter.
- Has enough twitch and speed to make an impact coming off the edge as a third-down specialist.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Because he’s a bit stiff as an athlete, a transition to 3-4 OLB might be a stretch.
- Wheat is so eager to get upfield that Wheat often abandons responsibilities against the run.
- Short for the defensive end position and lacks the ideal length to compensate. A second slow to react to screen and misdirection plays.
Tyrus Wheat percentiles vs other Linebacker's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Tyrus Wheat (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank