Drafted: ROUND: 6 - Pick Number: 205 (HOU)
Draft Profile: BioXavier Hutchinson from Bartram Trail High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed just a 2-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, he was forced into the JUCO route to get the attention of FBS schools after receiving little recruiting interest. After chalking up 47 receptions for 652 yards years as a sophomore at Blinn Junior College, Hutchinson entered the transfer protocol and after mulling offers from a number of big schools he opted to join Iowa State.
In 2020 as a freshman at Iowa state Hutchinson saw action in 12 games for the Cyclones as he made 64 receptions for 771 yards for an average of 12.0 yards per reception, with 4 TDs, and an excellent QB rating when targeted of 94.9.
As a sophomore in 2021 he played 13 games and had an outstanding 83 catches for 990 yards for an average of 11.9 yards per catch, with 5 TDs, and an improved QB rating when targeted of 110.3.
As a junior in 2022 he played 12 games and made a huge 107 catches for an outstanding 1171 yards for an average of 10.9 yards per catch, with 6 TDs, and a QB rating when targeted of 92.4.
Honors & awards
- Biletnikoff Award Finalist (2022)
- First Team All-American - Associated Press, Pro Football Focus (2022)
- Second Team All-American - AFCA, CBS Sports (2022)
- Third Team All-American - Phil Steele (2022)
- First Team All-Big 12 – Coaches (2020, 2021, 2022)
- First Team All-Big 12 - Associated Press (2022)
- First Team All-Big 12 - Phil Steele (2022)
- First Team All-Big 12 - Pro Football Network (2022)
- Big 12 Receiver of the Year - Pro Football Network (2022)
- Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award Semifinalist (2022)
- Reese's Senior Bowl Participant (2022)
- Walter Camp Award Player of the Year Watch List (2022)
- Maxwell Award Watch List (2022)
- Big 12 Offensive Newcomer of the Year (2020)
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Has the size, length, and strength to defeat press jams. Can make the spectacular catch. A decent open-field runner with some agility and the ability to break tackles.
- Has long arms to stiff-arm defensive backs in the open field. Willing to lower his pads to run through tackles for extra yardage. Goes over the middle, can spin out of tackles, and take the big hit.
- Does an excellent job tracking the ball deep in the air - has good positional sense and is aware of other players on the field
- Classic wide receiver with the size and physicality to play outside (played 70% college snaps out wide and 30% in the slot)
- Physical player able to get off press coverage to release up the sideline or position himself inside the cornerback on slants and crossing routes.
- Excellent hands catcher who creates an excellent catch radius. Impressive diving catcher and rarely suffers from concentration drops
- He’s also a catch-and-run threat, a creative runner who has good vision in the open field; he’ll be an option to return kicks as well.
- Often used on deep routes, getting separation down the sideline or over the middle on crossing routes by extending his arms rather than pure speed.
- Runs disciplined crisp routes and is able to avoid the jam at the line of scrimmage
- He’s a fluid athlete with good short-area quickness
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Not an elite athlete who is forced to create space with smarts and savvy rather than naked athleticism
- Has decent but far from elite speed and doesn't display a second gear that allows him to take the top off the defense
- Runs too upright at times and not always good in transitioning in and out of breaks
- While he plays with physicality overall his strength isn't elite
- Physically, Hutchinson profiles as a guy who should have success facing the quarterback, but he struggles to gear down and make the necessary sharp cuts to create separation underneath.
Player ComparisonMichael Thomas
Scouting Report: SummaryXavier Hutchinson is a hugely productive wide receiver with great hands and an innate feel for the position. He however doesn't have any elite athletic skills and only average deep speed. Despite this expect Hutchinson to continue to produce in the pros, maybe not at his level but still but at a level worthy of a third-round selection in the 2023 NFL draft.
Xavier Hutchinson percentiles vs other Wide Receiver's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
Xavier Hutchinson Three Minute Video Review
Courtesy of NFL Draft Buzz contributor Steven Wright
How other scouting services rate Xavier Hutchinson (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank