Drafted: ROUND: 2 - Pick Number: 49 (NO)
Draft Profile: BioAt Coffee County High School.Alontae Taylor played both ways and chalked up 8,225 yards of total offense and 75 touchdowns during his four-year career. He was rated a four-star prospect and a consensus top 10 recruit in Tennessee and Invited to play in the 2018 Under Armour All-American Game. Taylor also played in the 2017 Toyota East-West TN Football All-Star Classic – named MVP of the East Team after throwing the game-winning touchdown. He was heavily recruited to play offense and defense and ultimately opted to join Tennessee.
As a freshman in 2018Taylor saw action in all 12 games making eight starts and finished the year with 40 tackles, one tackle for loss, two forced fumbles, two breakups, and a blocked kick. The following year as a sophomore he made starts in 13 total games and logged 33 tackles, one interception, and three pass breakups.
In 2020 as a junior Taylor suffered a hamstring injury limiting his availability, but he still played in eight games and made five starts at corner while totaling 29 tackles, two tackles for loss, five passes defended and making one interception on the year.
2021 was Taylor's best as he started all 12 games and had a career-best 60 tackles, six pass breakups, two interceptions, and held opposing receivers to a QB rating when targeted of just 70.7. As a result, Taylor was invited to the senior bowl as well being awarded a spot on the 2021 All-SEC Fourth Team (Phil Steele).
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Good agility and balance when shadowing his target. Competitive player.
- Possess excellent length, good overall size and excellent athletic ability
- Has elite speed and put on a show at the combine where he ran a 4.36. He shows this on the field too where he rarely loses a foot race
- Has the fluid hips required for a starting pro corner - allows him to transition well from his back pedal
- Has a high football IQ with an excellent understanding of receivers' routes - skills he picked up while playing that position in high school
- Is an outstanding run defender who is a big hitter and not afraid to put his body at risk
- Reads the QB and gets good breaks on the ball. Bigger hitter than his slight frame implies. Closes quickly and generates explosion.
- Aware in the red zone stays on the backline to take away fade throws. Capable of making quarterbacks pay for late passes.
- Trusts his eyes and has very good awareness able to detect receiver's routes quickly. Has very good reaction skills to break quickly on the ball.
- Attacks the ball with authority, with quick read-and-react ability. Willing and physical tackler - flashes toughness and aggressive nature vs. the run.
- Fast and agile in man coverage, he sticks to receivers and closes on the ball.
- Fits best is as a press-man corner level due to size and ability to close to the ball and his ability to jam the receiver at the line
- Savvy cover skills to recognize and anticipate routes. Understands what's coming and has good ball skills.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Has only had a single year of very good college production in coverage (in 2021) - his other seasons were pretty average
- Doesn't have the strength to go up against bigger receivers outside - can be outmuscled in contested catch situations
- Tends to gamble too often resulting in him jumping routes and him being caught out. Needs to be more disciplined and conservative
- Has a tendency to be a bit of a grabber in coverage - may be caught out at the next level
- Can be faked out easily causing him to lose a step in coverage - although does have the speed to recover
- Holds the ball loosely after he picks the ball - liable to turn it straight back over
- Needs to get stronger. Too easily lost in the trash. Not a sudden athlete and shows body stiffness when attempting to quickly redirect.
Scouting Report: SummaryAlontae Taylor is an impressive prospect with some excellent upside. He's displayed elite speed, length and outstanding overall athletic skills also has good coverage instincts and may have the potential to be an outstanding press corner at the next level. He however has never really put all this together - until his senior year - when he finally looked like the player he was expected to be when recruited out of high school.
We are pretty high on Taylor and think he has the potential to be selected anywhere from the third to the fifth round of the 2022 NFL Draft - and can become a starter at the next level.
Alontae Taylor percentiles vs other Cornerback's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Alontae Taylor (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank