Draft Profile: BioCaleb Murphy from West Washington High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Murphy opted to join Indiana.
In 2020 as a freshman Murphy saw action in just one game and played a total of one snap for the Hoosiers. He allowed no QB hurries, no QB hits, and no sacks while playing sparingly.
As a sophomore in 2021 he played in just one game and a total of 2 snaps. He conceded no QB hurries, no QB hits, and no sacks while playing sparingly.
In 2022 as a junior Murphy saw action in 4 games and totaled 215 snaps. He gave up 10 QB hurries, 5 QB hits, and 3 sacks while playing most of his snaps at center.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Technician as a pass protector, playing with a wide base and very good balance. Murphy has heavy hands, but more impressively, Murphy is consistent with his kick slide and shows impressive lateral movement.
- Fundamentally sound and understands blocking angles, using body positioning to his advantage. Disciplined awareness and good intelligence.
- Takes much more pride in the run game, where he plays through the whistle with tremendous physicality.
- Cerebral player, quick to react to twists and stunts up front, and he shows an excellent understanding of angles when moving out as a run blocker.
- Uses his hands well, with good hand placement to maximize his powerful punch. Murphy shows impressive coordination between his upper and lower body when moving in pass protection.
- Has the agility, technique, and size to contribute early in his professional career. Quick, active hands to latch on to defenders.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Will punch at smaller defenders instead of latching on and is more of a mauler than mover in the running game. Can improve maintaining outside leverage when doubling the nose. Ducks his head and gets too upright, causing him to fall off second-level blocks.
- Plays with poor balance, doing too much reaching and lunging when his initial punch is ineffective. Trying to mirror against quickness will be a problem for him.
- Tends to slip off blocks when going against bigger linemen, and Murphy too often finishes plays on the ground.
Caleb Murphy percentiles vs other Offensive Line's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Caleb Murphy (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank