Draft Profile: BioCaleb Murphy from West Washington High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Murphy opted to join Indiana.
In 2020 as a freshman Murphy saw action in just one game and played a total of one snap for the Hoosiers. He allowed no QB hurries, no QB hits, and no sacks while playing sparingly.
As a sophomore in 2021 he played in just one game and a total of 2 snaps. He conceded no QB hurries, no QB hits, and no sacks while playing sparingly.
In 2022 as a junior Murphy saw action in 4 games and totaled 215 snaps. He gave up 10 QB hurries, 5 QB hits, and 3 sacks while playing most of his snaps at center.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Hand placement is excellent, and Murphy shows a good understanding of angles when climbing upfield
- Murphy moves much better than his relatively squat, square frame would suggest. Fluid and flexible, he’s capable of moving in space and latching on to moving targets at the second level.
- He thrives on physicality, often out-grappling bigger defensive linemen and winning in the phone booth with tenacity and upper-body strength.
- Has average height with a narrow base out of his stance. Needs to get stronger in his lower half to anchor at the point of attack.
- His high football IQ and the ability to set protections at the line of scrimmage will make him popular with position coaches. He’s instinctive after the snap, reading and reacting quickly to stunts and twists and showing an understanding of angles in the run game.
- He’s a fluid mover in pass protection, with great coordination between his upper and lower body. Murphy sets with a wide base, has the requisite core strength and plays with natural balance, capable of sitting back and handling power.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Is a bit underpowered, often coming off the line of scrimmage too high and struggling to generate movement. Murphy might be no more than a wall-off, angle blocker.
- Solid all-around prospect, but he’s not elite in any one area.
- Limits ability to mirror by leaning forward with his upper body and neglecting his lower body. Not strong enough and remains rough around the edges.
Caleb Murphy percentiles vs other Center's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Caleb Murphy (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank