Draft Profile: BioJaylan Ford from Lone Star High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Ford joined Texas.
In 2020 as a freshman Ford saw action in just 3 games and played a total of 100 snaps at linebacker for the Longhorns. He recorded 14 tackles, 2 assists, while adding 7 stops.
As a sophomore for the Longhorns in 2021 Ford played in 12 games and took part in 369 snaps for the Longhorns. He recorded 40 tackles, 12 assists, while adding 25 stops. In coverage Ford made no pass breakups, no interceptions, and an unimpressive QB rating when targetted of 128.3. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 5 total pressures, and 3 QB hurries, one QB hit, and one sack during the year.
In 2022 as a junior Ford played in 12 games and contributed on 745 snaps. He recorded decent 83 tackles, 21 assists while making 52 stops. In coverage Ford chalked up 2 pass breakups, 4 interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 65.2. As a pass rusher, he produced 17 total pressures, which included 12 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and 2 sacks on the year.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Ford shows good quickness off the line of scrimmage and flashes the violent hands to win around the edge.
- He can be used as a rangy run defender inside, instinctive when it comes to locating the ball with the quickness to get to it before blockers can react at the second level.
- Downhill defender and physical tackler. Uses his eyes to decipher and break down the play, showing good awareness and discipline to sniff out fakes.
- Shows the closing burst and footwork to work well in tight areas.
- Ford chases well in pursuit, and Ford has the athleticism to play in space if asked to drop into coverage.
- A bit stiff but makes the clean open-field tackle. Good effort in pursuit.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Gets caught with the eyes in the backfield at times. Strong backs can run through his tackle attempts if he's not in position.
- Lacks the kind of pure speed to consistently close, or to get home when used on looping rushes.
- Lacks elite quickness and change-of-direction ability to handle NFL slot receivers after initial contact.
How other scouting services rate Jaylan Ford (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank