Draft Profile: BioMatthew Jones from Erasmus Hall High School was rated a 4 star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4 star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Jones opted to join Ohio State.
In 2019 as a freshman Jones saw action in 8 games and played on a total of 114 snaps for the Buckeyes. He allowed no QB hurries, no QB hits, and no sacks while playing at left guard.
As a sophomore in 2020 he played in 4 games and a total of 205 snaps. He conceded 2 QB hurries, 4 QB hits, and one sack while playing at left guard.
In 2021 as a junior Jones saw action in 11 games and totaled 459 snaps. He gave up 6 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and no sacks while playing the majority of his snaps at left guard, and the rest at right guard.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Quick feet to get inside of defensive tackles to wall off inside and reach linebackers at the second level.
- Awareness is above-average for his limited experience. Sells trap block and can turn to seal. Fluid getting to and adjust at the second level.
- Has good footwork and technique. Balanced and agile pass protection set with excellent hand placement.
- Has the feet to adjust when he anticipates what's coming. Effective trapping and bends at the knees with adequate core strength to absorb the bull rush. Can clear a path at the second level if he hits the target.
- Finds defenders with his hands immediately and gets feet moving to engage and sustain.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Finesse blocker with average arm length who doesn't use his hands well to win at the point of attack.
- Flashes the ability to move his man with his hands, but is not yet consistent in this area.
How other scouting services rate Matthew Jones (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank