Draft Profile: BioMatthew Jones from Erasmus Hall High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Jones opted to join Ohio State.
In 2019 as a freshman Jones saw action in 8 games and played a total of 114 snaps for the Buckeyes. He allowed no QB hurries, no QB hits, and no sacks while playing at left guard.
As a sophomore in 2020 he played in 4 games and a total of 205 snaps. He conceded just 2 QB hurries, 4 QB hits, and one sack while playing at left guard.
In 2021 as a junior Jones saw action in 11 games and totaled 459 snaps. He gave up 6 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and no sacks while playing the majority of his snaps at left guard, and the rest at right guard.
In 2022 as a senior Jones saw action in 11 games and played a total of 658 snaps for the Buckeyes. He allowed 4 QB hurries, one QB hit, and no sacks while playing at right guard.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Has good footwork and technique. Balanced and agile pass protection set with excellent hand placement.
- Exhibits good patience in pass protection, sitting back in his set rather than leaning and lunging.
- He’s very good in the phone booth, firing off the line and playing with good leverage early in the down.
- Mauler in the run game, playing with a nasty disposition and showing excellent snap and punch quickness.
- Finds defenders with his hands immediately and gets feet moving to engage and sustain.
- Finishes and doesn't quit; competitor with a positive attitude and leadership traits that coaches admire.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- While he’s solid as an athlete, he’s more comfortable moving forward as a run blocker than setting in pass protection, as Jones too often relies solely on his initial punch to stand up pass rushers instead of moving his feet.
- Had issues against quality counter moves, struggling to readjust. That’s something he’ll see frequently against NFL technicians in the pass rush.
- Lacks ideal movement skills in the run game. He’ll get to the second level, but he tends to lock on to a path toward his target and then struggles if he has to adjust.
Matthew Jones percentiles vs other Offensive Guard's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Matthew Jones (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank