Drafted: ROUND: 5 - Pick Number: 153 (SEA)
Draft Profile: BioTariq Woolen was a three-star from Texas, where he attended Arlington Heights High School, Woolen was the 138th ranked Texas recruit in the 2017 class. He was also a quality basketball player and ran track in high school. He played WR and In his senior year at high school, he made 31 receptions for 536-yards and ten touchdowns. He joined UTSA in 2017 after being recruited as a receiver.
He redshirted the first year and then spent two years at WR where he totaled 24 receptions with 263 Yds.
Woolen converted to cornerback in 2020 where he made seven starts at cornerback and registered 35 tackles, including 20 solo stops, 2.5 tackles for loss, and 1.5 sacks. He also posted four pass breakups, two quarterback hurries, and one interception
In 2021 as a redshirt senior Woolen started all nine games in which he was available and logged 25 total tackles, 17 solo stops, 2.5 tackles for loss, five pass breakups, one interception, a quarterback hurry, and an unimpressive 100.2 QB rating when targeted on the year. He earned an honorable mention All-Conference USA recognition in the secondary, received invitations to play in the Reese's Senior Bowl, East-West Shrine Bowl, and NFLPA Collegiate Bowl.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- He has an intriguing combination of length (6-4), speed 4.3 and overall elite athleticism - will likely be a combine standout
- Made Bruce Feldman's Freaks list at #6 - He’s 6-4 1/4, 204 pounds but also has broad jumped 11-5 and run a laser-timed 4.34 40. He topped out at 23.33 MPH on the GPS and his flying 10-yard time is .90 seconds.
- Plays the ball as if it was thrown for him, showing burst back to the ball as well as good timing for the jump ball.
- Transitions well from coverage to close on the ball. Strong hands, quick reactions for the interceptions.
- Very fluid overall allows him easily mirror WRs in tight coverage deep
- Physical run supporter in the Antoine Winfield mold with short-area explosiveness to leave his mark on ball carriers.
- Has good awareness and quick feet. Fluid backpedal, aggressive attacking the receiver from the snap, and flashes spectacular ball skills.
- Has good cover skills, athleticism and big-play ability to be a lead cornerback if he matures.
- Takes accurate angles to the ball carrier. A strong, aggressive tackler and doesn't back down against the run.
- Good instincts and anticipation reads and reacts with discipline. Dangerous with the ball in his hands.
- Physical downfield and matches up well with bigger receivers. Tough and fiery with very good competitiveness. High-effort player.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Not fully consistent on making the interception in front of receivers.
- Despite experience as WR doesn't have good hands and will drop possible interceptions
- Has a very raw technique in press coverage and doesn't have elite lateral ability
- Very inexperienced has only played on two years of defense and in doing so has been regularity beaten - surrendering a 100.9 career QB rating when targetted
- NFL quarterbacks may take advantage of his aggressiveness in man and zone to eye up short routes and go over the top
Scouting Report: SummaryTariq Woolen is an elite athlete who is extremely raw as a corner and can only be viewed as a developmental prospect at the next level. He's played just two full years as a corner and has only performed at an average level despite showing some flashes of explosive play.
Woolen may be drafted higher than he deserves due to his unique physical skill set but as a corner, he warrants a fourth or fifth round grade in the 2022 NFL Draft.
Tariq Woolen percentiles vs other Cornerback's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Tariq Woolen (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank