Draft Profile: BioTavion Thomas from Dunbar High School was rated a 3 star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3 star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Thomas opted to join Cincinnati.
In 2018 as a freshman Thomas saw action in 10 games for the Bearcats as he ran for 494 yards on 90 attempts for an average of 5.5 yards per carry, with 6 TDs, and 3 fumbles. As a receiver he made one reception for -2 yards.
As a sophomore in 2019 he played in 4 games. and rushed for 189 yards on 40 carries for an average of 4.7 ypc, with one TD, and 2 fumbles. In the passing game he pulled in one reception for 6 yards.
After season's end Thomas transfered to Utah where a junior Thomas saw action in 13 games for the Utes. He ran for 1106 yards on 204 attempts for an average of 5.4 ypc, with 21 TDs, and 3 fumbles. As a receiver he made 2 receptions for 3 yards.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Has good burst to and through the hole. A patient runner with good vision and burst for the cutback. Squares his shoulders and can knock the defender back onto his heels. Good leg drive and forward lean to gain extra yardage after contact.
- Not truly explosive, but possesses enough speed to beat linebacker to the edge.
- Has good vision to find the hole and get North-South. Gets good initial push and always seems to be falling forward for a positive gain. A hard runner with a workhorse-type back mentality.
- Underrated blocker. Cognizant pass defender who is willing to meet a linebacker in the gap.
- A downhill runner who picks up momentum as he goes and does a nice job absorbing contact between the tackles - physical with good pad level.
- Doesn't possess elite breakaway speed, but is fast enough to gain yardage in chunks when he finds a seam.
- Difficult to bring down one-on-one in space, regularly sidesteps would-be tacklers and uses offhand to use oncoming defenders' momentum against them without slowing down significantly.
- Does not possess top breakaway speed, though he's rarely caught from behind.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Loses momentum when he gears down to change direction and it takes him a few steps to accelerate back to full speed. Appears indecisive; will dance too much at the line of scrimmage. Lacks natural playmaking ability.
- A tall, upright runner who lacks great power as a runner. Not a quick-twitch athlete and is forced to gear down too much. Not very loose throughout his frame; looks tight redirecting. Will dance and leave his feet instead of taking what's there.
How other scouting services rate Tavion Thomas (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank