Draft Profile: BioTavion Thomas from Dunbar High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Thomas joined Cincinnati.
In 2018 as a freshman Thomas saw action in 10 games for the Bearcats as he ran for a solid 494 yards on 90 attempts for an excellent 5.5 yards per carry, with 6 TDs, with 3 fumbles. As a receiver he made just one reception for -2 yards.
As a sophomore in 2019 he played 4 games. and rushed for a solid 189 yards on 40 carries for a solid 4.7 ypc, with one TD, with 2 fumbles. In the passing game he pulled in just one reception for 6 yards.
After the end of the year Thomas transferred to Utah where a junior Thomas saw action in 13 games for the Utes. He ran for an outstanding 1106 yards on 204 attempts for an excellent 5.4 ypc, with 21 TDs, with 3 fumbles. As a receiver he made just 2 receptions for 3 yards.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- His skills as a runner translate nicely to the next level, and Thomas could emerge as an early down back on a team that uses a zone running scheme.
- Fights for extra yardage and is reliable in short-yardage situations.
- North-South runner with good leg drive and physicality.
- Very physical runner; keeps his legs churning on contact. Rarely goes down with the first hit. Lowers shoulder into defenders and shows pure determination with natural running skills to break free and stiff-arm and spin move to dodge tacklers.
- He’s a pure power runner with excellent vision. His size makes him a handful once he starts going downhill, and he has the ability to carry tacklers and push the pile in short-yardage situations.
- Thomas runs like a wide receiver, explosive off the line of scrimmage with exceptional quickness and body control for his size.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- He’s good on screen and swing passes, but Thomas doesn’t have the route-running feel to be the kind of back you flex out.
- He’s more of a cut blocker in pass protection as opposed to a guy who will stick his face in against the blitz, although that is a correctable flaw.
- Thomas has a tendency to seek out contact rather than avoid it. He’s not particularly creative as a runner, going north-south and trying to power through tacklers at the second level.
How other scouting services rate Tavion Thomas (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank