Draft Profile: BioMerlin Robertson from Junipero Serra High School was rated a 4 star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4 star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Robertson opted to join Arizona State.
In 2018 as a freshman Robertson saw action in 12 games and played on a total of 749 snaps for the Sun Devils. He recorded 55 tackles, 23 assists, while adding 35 stops. In coverage Robertson notched up one pass break up, one interception, and a QB rating when targetted of 76.7. As a pass rusher, he added 28 total pressures, which included 15 QB hurries, 7 QB hits, and 6 sacks on the season.
As a sophomore for the Sun Devils in 2019 Robertson played in 13 games and took part on 881 snaps for the Sun Devils. He recorded 45 tackles, 19 assists, while adding 25 stops. In coverage Robertson made 2 pass break ups, one interception, and a QB rating when targetted of 114.2. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 17 total pressures, and 8 QB hurries, 6 QB hits, and 3 sacks during the year.
In 2020 as a junior Robertson played in 4 games and contributed on 229 snaps. He recorded 18 tackles, 8 assists, while making 6 stops. In coverage Robertson chalked up no pass break ups, one interception, and a QB rating when targetted of 76.8. As a pass rusher, he produced 4 total pressures, which included 3 QB hurries, one QB hit, and no sacks on the year.
In 2021 as a senior Robertson logged playing time in 12 games and logged a total of 629 snaps for the Sun Devils. He also added 49 tackles, 17 assists, and 29 stops. While in coverage Robertson made one pass break up, 3 interceptions, and a QB rating when targetted of 61.2. As a pass rusher, he tallied 3 total pressures, which included 2 QB hurries, one QB hit, and no sacks on the season.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Flashes strength to punch or stiff-arm to get off blocks. Stays with plays downfield, often making tackles even after being hit by multiple linemen.
- Work in progress as a pass rusher, with upfield burst and flexibility to dip and scrape.
- Has enough athleticism to drop in coverage and penetrate the pocket. Has good experience as a four-year starter.
- Physical at the point of attack and works hard to shed blocks. Enjoys contact and is a forceful tackler. Effective blitzer with the speed to reach the backfield and create backside pressure.
- Displays nice agility and awareness in coverage. Has the size and speed to be effective rushing the passer.
- Brings down quarterbacks much bigger than he is. Very good motor and regularly chases down plays from behind.
- Shows the closing burst and footwork to work well in tight areas.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Locates the ball but takes circuitous routes to go get to it. Should use power and long arms to take on and disengage from blocks. Inefficient with his angles.
- Builds to top speed and must take the right line to beat backs to the edge.
How other scouting services rate Merlin Robertson (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank