Draft Profile: BioMerlin Robertson from Junipero Serra High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 4-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Robertson joined Arizona State after being heavily recruited.
In 2018 as a freshman Robertson saw action in 12 games and played a total of 749 snaps at linebacker for the Sun Devils. He recorded decent 55 tackles, 23 assists, while adding 35 stops. In coverage Robertson notched up one pass breakup, one interception, and a QB rating when targetted of 76.7. As a pass rusher, he added 28 total pressures, which included 15 QB hurries, 7 QB hits, and 6 sacks on the season.
As a sophomore for the Sun Devils in 2019 Robertson played in 13 games and took part in 881 snaps for the Sun Devils. He recorded 45 tackles, 19 assists, while adding 25 stops. In coverage Robertson made 2 pass breakups, one interception, and a QB rating when targetted of 114.2. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 17 total pressures, and 8 QB hurries, 6 QB hits, and 3 sacks during the year.
In 2020 as a junior Robertson played in 4 games and contributed on 229 snaps. He recorded 18 tackles, 8 assists while making 6 stops. In coverage Robertson chalked up no pass breakups, one interception, and a QB rating when targetted of 76.8. As a pass rusher, he produced 4 total pressures, which included 3 QB hurries, one QB hit, and no sacks on the year.
In 2021 as a senior Robertson logged playing time in 12 games and logged a total of 629 snaps for the Sun Devils. He also added 49 tackles, 17 assists, and 29 stops. While in coverage Robertson made one pass breakup, 3 interceptions, and a QB rating when targetted of 61.2. As a pass rusher, he tallied 3 total pressures, which included 2 QB hurries, one QB hit, and no sacks on the season.
In 2022 as a fifth year senior Robertson logged playing time in 12 games and logged a total of 817 snaps for the Sun Devils. He also added decent 52 tackles, 25 assists, and 31 stops. While in coverage Robertson made one pass breakup, no interceptions, and a QB rating when targetted of 107.7. As a pass rusher, he tallied 10 total pressures, which included 6 QB hurries, one QB hit, and 3 sacks on the season.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- In coverage, Robertson shows excellent awareness and anticipation when dropping back into zone, and he has the fluidity and speed to run with most tight ends over the middle.
- A bit stiff but makes the clean open-field tackle. Good effort in pursuit.
- Good all-around athlete with very good short-area quickness and fluidity
- Robertson has an excellent feel for working off blockers and knowing how and when to counter as the play goes on.
- Has the combination of size and athleticism worthy of development.
- He’s rangy and instinctive when he’s looking into the backfield as a zone defender.
- He has the take on skills to play the Mike, shedding blockers with violent hands and plenty of functional strength. Robertson accelerates quickly in space and has closing speed.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Builds to top speed and must take the right line to beat backs to the edge.
- Lacks functional strength in the pass rush, struggling to disengage and too easily pushed past the pocket.
- Robertson doesn’t play with enough physicality to fight through blocks; he’ll need to be covered up in order to maximize his playmaking.
Merlin Robertson percentiles vs other Linebacker's (NFL Combine historically - higher value represents better perfomance)
How other scouting services rate Merlin Robertson (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank