Draft Profile: BioOmar Speights from Imhotep Institute Charter High High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Speights joined Oregon State.
In 2019 as a freshman Speights saw action in 12 games and played a total of 555 snaps at Linebacker for the Beavers. He recorded solid 51 tackles, 17 assists, while adding 36 stops. In coverage Speights notched up 2 pass breakups, one interception, and an impressive QB rating when targetted of 70.2. As a pass rusher, he added 17 total pressures, which included 9 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and a solid a solid 5 sacks on the season.
As a sophomore for the Beavers in 2020 Speights played in 7 games and took part in 457 snaps for the Beavers. He recorded 48 tackles, 16 assists, while adding 29 stops. In coverage Speights made no pass breakups, no interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 96.6. As a pass rusher, he chalked up 8 total pressures, and 6 QB hurries, no QB hits, and 2 sacks during the year.
In 2021 as a junior Speights played in 13 games and contributed on 866 snaps. He recorded solid 63 tackles, 27 assists while making 35 stops. In coverage Speights chalked up one pass breakup, 2 interceptions, and a decent QB rating when targetted of 82.7. As a pass rusher, he produced 17 total pressures, which included 11 QB hurries, 4 QB hits, and 2 sacks on the year.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Good closing speed with long arms to drag down quarterbacks and running backs.
- Plays fast, flows with the action, showing smooth lateral agility and short-area burst. Has good instincts and awareness to quickly find the ball.
- Flashes closing speed and agility to reach passers from the blind side or up the middle before they can escape.
- Reads the quarterback to anticipate and is a candidate to play outside.
- He’s excellent changing direction, an agile mover who can win by countering inside and exploding with impressive burst when closing.
- Speights has the size and strength to stack and shed blockers and is especially fierce when moving downhill against the run.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- As good as Speights is attacking downhill, he can get overaggressive and overrun plays, opening up cutback lanes for counter runs.
- As a pass rusher, he lacks the ideal length to consistently win off the edge, even if he manages to improve his at-times sloppy hand usage.
- Lacks functional strength in the pass rush, struggling to disengage and too easily pushed past the pocket.
How other scouting services rate Omar Speights (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank