Draft Profile: BioJake Venables from D W Daniel High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. After high school, Venables joined Clemson.
In 2018 as a freshman Venables saw action in just 2 games and played a total of 6 snaps at linebacker for the Tigers. He recorded no tackles, one assist, while adding no stops.
As a sophomore for the Tigers in 2019 Venables played in 14 games and took part in 217 snaps for the Tigers. He recorded 26 tackles, 6 assists, while adding 25 stops. In coverage Venables made no pass breakups, no interceptions, and QB rating when targetted of 91.7.
In 2020 as a junior Venables played in 9 games and contributed on 318 snaps. He recorded 17 tackles, 6 assists while making 14 stops. As a pass rusher, he produced 9 total pressures, which included 5 QB hurries, one QB hit, and 3 sacks on the year.
In 2021 as a senior Venables logged playing time in 5 games and logged a total of 30 snaps for the Tigers. He also added just 3 tackles, one assist, and 2 stops.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Possesses strong upper body to be explosive and create turnovers as a tackler. Takes aggressive angles to the ball.
- Venables has violent hands and consistently breaks away and disengages from blockers. He’s instinctive, reading, reacting and locating the ball quickly, and finishing plays as an authoritative, wrap-up tackler.
- Has a filled-out frame with good thickness. Plays at full speed at all times with an active motor and determined quickness in pursuit.
- A dynamic edge rusher, Carraway has NFL-caliber quickness and speed. He gets off the snap quickly and has the flexibility to bend the edge and the pure speed to close on the quarterback.
- Good athlete. Shows a natural feel for pass rushing. Very good lateral agility to shake pass blockers.
- Showed initial quickness and good flexibility to dip and bend. Venables has active hands and suddenness to his movements, demonstrating the ability to counter inside.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Possesses average instincts. More likely to make plays with quick reactions than by diagnosing.
- Hits up high and misses more tackles than Venables should.
- Has inconsistent read/react skills with streaky awareness when asked to drop in coverage. Is like a bull in a China shop with his aggressive style of play, causing him to play undisciplined and overpursue.
How other scouting services rate Jake Venables (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank