Drafted: ROUND: 1 - Pick Number: 22 (GB)
Draft Profile: BioQuay Walker was a high school standout who had 76 total tackles, 10 for a loss, and five pass deflections as a senior, and also caught 13 passes for 201 yards and five TDs as a receiver on offense. He was selected to play in the 2018 Under Armour All-America Game and was graded by 247Sports.com as a four-star prospect. He was ranked the #2 OLB nationally, #31 overall prospect, and the #6 prospect in Georgia. As a result, Walker was heavily recruited but opted to stay local and join the Bulldogs.
Walker played little in 2018 but made an impact in 2019 while playing in 13 of 14 games and finished with 23 total stops and recorded 3 QB sacks.
In 2020 he played on 334 snaps and recorded a sack, 35 tackles, and 19 total stops.
In 2021 as a senior he broke out while starting 15 games. He finished with 67 total stops (tied for third-best on the team), along with 5.5 Tackles for Loss, 1.5 QB Sacks, 25 QB pressures, and three pass breakups. He also chalked up team-high eight tackles in the CFP Championship Game vs. Alabama.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Key component of the number one ranked Georgia Defense
- Has elite straight-line speed and quickness and ideal size and length for the position, combined with good strength and pass-rush ability
- Showed elite athletic skills at the combine where he put up 4.52 40 while weighing in at 241 lbs
- Tougher between the tackles than many expect. Fluid and quick drop into zone covers enough ground to be Tampa-2 "MIKE" and knows where the markers are.
- The best tackler on the Georgia team in 2021 - had only 3 missed tackles in 15 games
- Takes excellent angles to the ball carrier and also instinctively blows up screens with his elite lateral pursuit
- Very strong and powerful - able to plow through lead blocks on running plays.
- Explosive as an interior blitzer and possesses potential as a pass rusher at the next level
- Reads the quarterback to anticipate and is a candidate to play outside
- Plays fast, flows with the action, showing smooth lateral agility and short-area burst. Has good instincts and awareness to quickly find the ball.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Lacks skills in coverage - has surrendered a far from impressive 95.6 career QB rating when targeted in pass defense
- Limited vision and is easily fooled by misdirection. Lacks range and lateral agility in coverage.
- Has a high cut frame and this limits his agility and change of direction skills
- Often overruns the play and is too aggressive moving towards the ball carrier
- Has only put up a single year of top-level play
- More fast than quick - lacks elite quickness and change-of-direction ability to handle NFL slot receivers after initial contact
Scouting Report: SummaryQuay Walker is an impressive athlete who's performed at an outstanding level in the highest level of college football. He is an elite tackler who rarely misses tackles and will likely be a thumper at the next level. Walker also brings skills as a pass rusher to the table - something you rarely see in an interior linebacker, he, however, lacks skills in coverage and doesn't seem to play to his timed speed, and it remains to be seen if can be a three-down player in the pros.
Walker may go as high as the second round due to his impressive performance at the combine and elite tackling skills, however, we look at him as a likely third-round selection in the 2022 NFL Draft due to his deficiencies in coverage.
How other scouting services rate Quay Walker (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank